Brits: Terror Attack in Tunisia ‘Highly Likely’

PHOTO: Tunisian police officers stay in the lobby of an hotel where a terrorist attack took place in the coastal town of Sousse, Tunisia, June 26, 2015.
Share
Copy

Saying another terrorist attack is “highly likely,” the British government today urged its citizens in Tunisia to get out of the north African nation.

“Although we have had good cooperation from the Tunisian government, including putting in place additional security measures, the intelligence and threat picture has developed considerably, reinforcing our view that a further terrorist attack is highly likely,” the British Foreign Office said online today. “On balance, we do not believe the mitigation measures in place provide adequate protection for British tourists in Tunisia at the present time and we have therefore changed our travel advice accordingly.

“If you’re in Tunisia and you don’t have an essential need to remain, you should leave by commercial means,” the statement says.

Late last month 38 foreign tourists were killed, including 30 Britons, at a popular beach resort in Tunisia when a gunman pulled a Kalashnikov rifle from under an umbrella and opened fire on the vacationers. The terror group ISIS later claimed responsibility for the attack.

Today's advisory went on to say that "tourist resorts" could be targeted "by individuals unknown to the authorities whose actions may be inspired by terrorist groups via social media."

"The Tunisian authorities have increased their security measures but have also acknowledged the limitations of their ability to counter the current terrorist threat," the advisory said.

Join the Discussion
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
You Might Also Like...